This is the 2016 All Hands Meeting Agenda. You can find more information on travel, lodging, and transportation accommodations at the bottom of the page.
Monday, October 17th, 2016
Eckhart Research Center 301A/B
5640 S. Ellis Ave
Breakfast [8:30am - 8:45am]
8:30am - Coffee and Continental Breakfast
Welcome and Research Lightning Updates [8:45am - 10:30am]
We recommended 5 mins of presentation + 5 mins of Q/A:
- Slide 1 - Team
- Slides 2/3 - General updates. What you accomplished in Y1, what have you been working on recently.
- Slide 4 - Advertise your projects featured in the expo (see below).
- Slide 5 - What do you hope to get accomplished in Y2 & at this meeting.
- Slide 6 - Any big questions / ideas you want to throw out to the group for later discussion etc.
8:45am - Welcome - Ian Foster
8:55am - Climate Statistics - Liz Moyer/Michael Stein
9:05am - Impacts of Global Change - Joshua Elliott
9:15am - Agricultural R&D and Forestry investment decisions- Tom Hertel/Alla Golub
9:25am - Global Forests in Integrated Assessment Models -- Brent Sohngen
9:35am - Spatial DSICE - Yongyang Cai and Buz Brock
9:45am - Robustness - Anderson/Brock/Sanstad
10:00am - SCC Damage Functions and Climate Impacts Tool - Ori/Jina
10:10am - FACE-IT Applications - Montella/DiLuccio
10:20am - Model Evaluation - Lenny Smith / Hailiang Du
Coffee Break [10:30am - 10:45am]
10:30am - Coffee Break
Research Expo [10:45am - 12:15pm]
Each "booth" will have a monitor. Please prepare a virtual poster, 1 - 3 slides, or a live demo that can be shown while you discuss your project.
Please email Matt Letke with your project title ASAP to confirm your spot.
10:45am - Research Expo. "Booths" include the following:
- Changes in inter- and intraannual precipitation and temperature variability from the CMIP5 Archive - Schwarzwald
- Campus as a Lab - McIndewar
- Climate change and Mortality - Jina
- Spatial DSICE - Cai
- Developing optimal agricultural R&D policy in the face of future uncertainties - Golub
- Decision-Theoretic Evaluation of Computational Models for Regulatory Applications - Sanstad
- What can we learn about temperature extremes from millennial-scale equilibrium climate simulations? - Huang
- Groundwater Response to Climate Change Impacts and Crop Water Demand in Agricultural Regions of U.S. - Sahoo
- MagPIE - Munson
- Robustness in Economic Models with Climate Change -- Anderson
- Global Forests in Integrated Assessment Models -- Soghen
- WaComM: A parallel Water quality Community Model for pollutant transport and dispersion operational predictions - Raffaele Montella and Diana DiLuccio
- Event-based Diagnostics of Model Precipitation using Rainstorm Identification and Tracking - Marohnic
- Interannual variation in the characteristics of precipitation events under a changing climate - Chen
- Testing Economics from the Celestial Observatory -- Eamon Duede and Victor Zhorin
- Pseudo-orbit data assimilation, Multi-model cross pollination in time, and `ignorance' scores for decision support - Hailiang Du
- Klimatic: A virtual data lake for harvesting and distribution of geospatial data - Tyler Skluzacek
- Projector: A framework for spatial images compression and similarity analysis - Lourenco
12:15pm - Lunch
Lunch [12:15pm - 1:15pm]
1:15pm - 2:30pm - Speed Dating Part 1 - TBD
2:30pm - Coffee Break
3:00pm - 4:00pm - Speed Dating Part 2 - TBD
Research Speed Dating [1:15pm - 4:10pm]
Groups will meet to discuss points of overlap, areas where one groups results may be useful to the other group, potential future workshops, ideas for new collaborations or even just common interests. In no particular order:
Group Discussion on results of the breakout sessions [4:30pm - 5:30pm]
Updates on the results of the breakout groups. What were the highlights? What common themes emerged? Does a specific pairing want more time to talk in greater detail? Did a topic come up during the day that warrants further discussion by the whole group?
4:00pm - Report back from groups
4:30pm - Group discussion
End of Day [5:00pm]
1400 W Randolph St, Chicago, IL 60607
Tuesday, October 18th, 2016
Breakfast [8:30am - 9:00am]
8:30am - Breakfast
Young Researchers Sessions [9:00am - 10:30am]
Young researchers and students will meet to propose and discuss new center initiatives (workshops, tutorials, conference sessions, center events, etc.)
9:00am - Young Researchers session, ERC 301a
- Management breakout (Searle 236)
10:15am - Coffee Break
Coffee Break [10:30am - 10:45am]
Outreach Expo [10:45am - 12:00pm]
Current Outreach projects and programs are demonstrated and brainstorming session for new initiatives. Outreach includes educational programs, data sharing and visualization, models and tools.
Please email Matt Letke with your project title by Wednesday, October 12th to confirm your spot.
10:45am - Outreach Expo. "Booths" include the following:
- FACE-IT - Raffaele Montella
- Atlas/EDE - Madeline Groedek & Ricardo Lourenco
- Globus Data Publication - TBD
- Climate Impacts Tool - Amir Jina
- pSIMS - David Kelly
- Energy Engineers - Jacobi King
- Energy Demos - Javier Mulero
- Summer Scholars - Abisola Olawale
- Urban Research -- Seth Severns
- Campus as a Lab -- Leith McIndewar
- Energy Inventory - Camille Celone
- Agricultural Productivity and Adaptation Explorer - Sydney Purdue
Lunch [12:00pm - 1:00pm]
12:00pm - Lunch
Team Working Groups [1:00pm - 3:30pm]
Time for your group meetings. Get together and hammer out the details of your Year 1 plans.
Please contact us with the details of your group size and needs (projector, white board etc.) reserve appropriate rooms
1:00pm - Team Working Groups
- Room 301b - Impacts: FABLE & Forestry
- Room 301a - Impacts: Ag & Water
- Room 301a - Climate-Stats
- Room 301b - Computation
- Outside Room 301 - SCC
- Outside Room 301 - Robustness
Future Planning and Wrap Up [3:30pm - 4:30pm]
Present Year 2 plans.
3:00pm - Group Discussion and Future Planning
End of Meeting [4:30pm]
4:30pm - End of Meeting
Lodging Options and Travel Information
Note: Hyatt Place is partnered with Windy City Limos, available for service to O'Hare and Midway Airports. Additionally, a shuttle service is available upon request from 7 AM - 7 PM to the University of Chicago Campus.
You are responsible for booking your own air travel. Travel costs will then be reimbursed through the University. Please contact Alison Brizius for more information.
Please contact Matt Letke if you need any further assistance with your accommodations.